Hello sweet friends, this week I’ve been sick with a cold and it seems like it’s getting worse everyday. So what do I do when I’m sick.. I bake.. just kidding! I really don’t bake when I’m sick, but for the longest time I’ve been wanting to make my own pies and this week I decided to go for it. I researched (which means hours on Pinterest) for a easy and delicious pie crust and after many pins I found a winner!
Before I continue on with these delicious mini pies, I want to share a little about my baking journey. I’ve never been a strong baker, I can tell you right now that I’ve had so many baking fails than successes. Even though I’ve failed so many times.. more than I can count, I haven’t given up on it! If you first don’t succeed then try, try, try, try, try… again! and boy, have a tried. I get anxiety just thinking about it -lol- 4 years ago I was invited to a cookie party exchange, the invitation said that all cookies had to be homemade.. no store bought cookies. I was excited and terrified all at the same time. I kid you not, I went and bought cookie magazines, baking books, and all the baking things I needed.. I was on a mission to make the best cookies ever!
I took over all the kitchen counters and dinning table, there was flour, sugar, food coloring and baking supplies everywhere! Let’s just say my lemon cookies didn’t come out like I had hoped for. After trying 3 different cookie recipes and all 3 failed, I was defeated. The kitchen looked like it was hit by a tornado and I broke down into tears. I had been in the kitchen for 8 hours with no cookies. Then my husband stepped in and I remember him telling me.. “we will make 3 dozen lemon cookies even if we stay up all night”. I couldn’t help but smile, he started by throwing away all the bad, burnt, and non edible cookies. Then to lighten the mood he started cracking jokes about baking and how horrible I was at it -lol- We ended up making the lemon cookies, they weren’t the greatest but we had made them together and that meant a lot to me.
From that day on, I knew baking was going to be a challenge for me, but I wasn’t going to give it up just because I wasn’t good at it. Four years later, I still struggle but I’m finally starting to understand the world of baking.
- Pie dough (I used this recipe from Martha Stewart )
- Flour for rolling dough
- White sugar
- 1 large egg, with 1 tsp of water
- Strawberry jam (or other filling of your choice)
- Heart cookie cutter
- Make your pie dough and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out your dough until it’s smooth and even. Once your dough is rolled out, use your cookie cutter and cut out your hearts. Remember that you will use 2 hearts for 1 pie.
- Place a small amount of strawberry jam or your filling of choice in the center of the heart.
- Place another heart on top of each filled heart and press and crimp edges.
- Beat the egg with water and brush the egg wash along the border of the heart. This will seal the pie then sparkling sugar on top.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until they’re golden.
I couldn’t be more happy with these little pies, if I can make them.. you can too!